Study is nothing else but a possession of the mind
1588 – 1679
Study skills series
"A.S.P.I.R.E." A Study System
- Approach your studies with a positive attitude
- Arrange your schedule to eliminate distractions
- Select a reasonable chunk of material to study
- Survey the headings, graphics, pre- and post questions to get an overview
- Scan the text for keywords and vocabulary: mark what you don’t understand
P: Piece together the parts:
- Put aside your books and notes
- Piece together what you've studied, either alone, with a study pal or group:
summarize what you understand.
- Investigate alternative sources of information you can refer to:
text books, websites, experts, tutors, etc.
- Inquire from support professionals (academic support, librarians, tutors,
teachers, experts,) and other resources for assistance
- Inspect what you did not understand.
Reexamine the content | Reflect on the
material | Relay understanding
What questions are there yet to ask? Is there something I am
How can I apply this to my project? Is there a new application
Can I explain this to my fellow students? Will they understand it
better if I do?
- Evaluate your grades on tests and tasks: look for a pattern
- Examine your progress: toward achieving your goals
- Explore options: with a teacher, support professional, tutor, parent if you
are not satisfied.