Thought is only a flash between two long nights,
but this flash is everything.
1854 - 1912
Study skills series
Create, and study with, flashcards
This simple study technique has proved to be one of the most effective study strategies for memorizing
Flash cards are two-sided study aids that have
a cue, a question, a concept on one side, and
the answers on the opposite side:
- Effective in quick or brief periods of time
and cost-effective in terms of time and money
- “Chunked” in small packs (Rule of 7-9 items)
and convenient study tool
at bus stops, on walks, in a line, etc.
- Use individually, paired, or in a group
- They can be a simple 3 x 5 card or a computerized program
...as a handy note-taking strategy
...as a matching game
- Increase the difficulty
putting easy ones aside and focusing on the more difficult
- Useful for a quick review
- Instead of words, use pictures, illustrations, etc.
- Take advantage of alternate learning styles and use when
pacing, talking out loud, etc.
- Scatter about a room for visualized identity
or the “Method of places”